Wednesday 10 December 2014

The window shopper

window shopper  (n.) - a person who visits a store or a mall to admire the goods rather than to purchase them

When we find ourselves in college with zero income and lots of free time the only thing that you end up doing is going window shopping. Of course its also the best way to escape hot summer days by taking refuge in the air conditioned showrooms of any huge multiplex or a shopping center. Buying a few cheap snacks to gallivant around the whole place was the perfect excuse to bunk a few hours of boring college lectures and gaze through the display windows of big department stores.

I vividly remember looking at the price tags of the clothes hung up in the store and putting them down solely for the reason that they were overpriced or maybe they did not fit into the monthly budget. Giving tuitions always did not bring in a whole lot of money to indulge in all pleasures. And even if there was enough cash to buy something, it was always offset by the desire to hoard all the amount and increase the cash balance.

Its been many years since the window shopping symptoms took root within me but it wasn't yesterday that I realised that it still hasn't left me. It still makes me happy to not have spent on something which may not have been very important to me. And saving up the amount so that I can get something sensible and useful at the end of the day. Prioritizing my needs still makes me put down a dress and invest the same amount in exchange for something much more useful to me in due course of time. I haven't been a very keen shopper (yes that is very rare for a girl) though I do have sporadic bouts of "shoe shopping" and the likes.

Though shopping is claimed as being a great form of therapy, the feeling of hanging out with friends and cracking the silliest of jokes beats that hands down any day. Where you continue trying out a huge slew of outfits which look horrendous on you,(according to you) but manage to attract a lot of laughter from your shopping buddies.And you actually do not need to buy anything to feel better again.

And I think I might as well want it to continue being this way....Because.....



No comments:

Post a Comment